Monday, October 18, 2010

My favorite time of the day........

Dinner Time!!!

Here are a couple of yummy recipes. I got this one HERE. It is more like an alfredo dish than a lasagna- but Jon and I loved it just the same. I put a lil' bit ground sausage in mine tho.

Also a couple of years ago our ward put together a cookbook. One of the recipes (submitted by THIS girl) was Dinner in a Pumpkin. I like it cuz your family can eat just the mixture inside or scoop out some of the pumpkin to eat also. I usually get the little pumpkins that have the painted faces on them at Walmart, cuz they are the perfect size (and then scub off the painted faces cuz I don't know if the paint will burn- and I don't want them looking at me while I bake them.) But this year the little painted face pumpkins were almost twice as much as the unpainted large pumpkins. I chose to get a bigger on because of price and was laughing a the size as I put it in my cart.I had to double my recipe (everything but the hamb.)- but it wasn't tons like I thought it would be and filled it quite nicely.
Dinner in a Pumpkin
1 med. to small pumpkin
1 onion, chopped
2 T oil
1-2 lbs. hamb, browned and drained
2 T. soy sauce
2 T. brown sugar
1 (4 oz.) canned mushrooms (I always use fresh that are sauteed in butter)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 1/2 cups cooked rice
1 (8 oz can) water chestnuts, drained
Hollow out pumpkin and put on a cookie sheet. Mix all ingredients together and put in pumpkin. Replace lid and bake at 350 for an hour or more. Pumpkin should be soft. Great for Halloween and Thanksgiving.
(Note:- I also put some diced yellow bell peppers from the garden as we had tons. I liked what it added to the taste of the dinner).

No comments: