Sunday, September 14, 2008

Belgium... not just for waffles!

Antwerp, Belgium
This was the first city that we stopped at in Belgium. We immediately thought that it was such a neat little town. We stopped here and bought lots of chocolates- (Belgium chocolates- Yum!)


They had things like this all over. This was a statue- but one of the guys was real. We were walking buy and saw him move and smile. It was a neat trick!



Brussels, BelgiumOur guide pointed out how there was a lot of French influence in the building- designs in Brussels. You can tell cuz they look more floofy than other buildings in other cities.





Brussels was incredibly crowded. Our guide said that it was normally that busy.

It was hard to get anywhere cuz of all the people. (you can't tell how crowded it was by this pic though) But it was still gorgeous!
During our time there, we discovered that we planned our vacation just right. We were able to see The Carpet of Flowers. It is something that they do every 2 years in Brussels. The carpet was made up of individual flowers in the design of a real carpet pattern. It only lasts a few days. We could see some of the flowers were already starting to wilt. But it was still beautiful!



Mannekin Pis- hehe! The title makes me laugh every time! Our guide told us the story, but you can find it here. Our guide also said that everyone is always disappointed in the size of the statue. I guess I thought it would be bigger too. Apparently they dress him in a different outfit frequently. I guess there is a museum that houses over 700 of outfits already worn by Mannekin Pis. (Hehe- it still makes me laugh!)Love, love, love the cobblestones everywhere we went. Although, it would be hard to push a stroller on them. Yeah- I'm a dork and took a pic of the ground!
Ghent, Belgium



Ghent was a "hidden jewel" that I fell in love with right away. Even our guide said that he liked Bruge a lot more than Ghent, but I LOVED the buildings. It had a lot of old world charm.
Bruge, Belgium


I loved Bruge- cuz I loved the tourist-y shops!



Belgium is known for their lace. (I went into so many dang lace shops!) There was this old(er) lady sitting by a back door making lace- so I took a pic of her. It was neat to see how lace is made! (very tedious!) I was able to go into a church and see a work of Michelangelo. This one is of Mother Mary and the baby Jesus. Our guide said that it is one of the only pieces of Michelangelo's that isn't in Italy.
Ahhh! I miss it already!

I remember when I was Preg-o with Jack, I was watching Rachel Ray's Tasty Travels on The Food Network one night and she went to Belgium and got one of these waffles that you ate just like a cookie. I think I craved one for months after that and told Jon when we went to Amsterdam, I wanted to travel the 1- 1/2 hrs to go into Belgium and get a waffle. He thought I was a dork and said that he was sure that Amsterdam waffles would taste the same as Belgium waffles. This was our debate for months (my side: who has ever heard of an Amsterdam Waffle?) Well- in the end, Jon had an Amsterdam waffle after tasting one from Belgium and guess what- They are pretty different! Yes- if you want a Belgium waffle- GO TO BELGIUM!!!

Now where can I get some authentic Belgium waffels in the U.S?

5 comments:

Debie Spurgeon said...

That carpet of flowers is unbelievable.

Nicki said...

Have you seen "the best two years?" I've always wanted to try one of the waffles since watching that show. What a fun trip.

rip said...

I am seriously jealous! Lucky!

I wish you would have snuck some waffles home so we all could have a taste.

Karey said...

Oh Terra, thank you for the mini trip to Europe you gave us! How awesome. I love old world charm. The buildings were amazing. How often does Jon get to do this? Lucky lady.

Sonja said...

How wonderful for you to have seen such amazing things!! It's on my list for sure. I will have to plan for a trip in 2 years to see that carpet of flowers, that must have been amazing.