Thursday, August 12, 2010

The Adventures of Juan and Terrrrrrra (Part Tres)

Mazatlan
I loved it here, but there is a story as to why we had a relaxing time with a beach mostly to ourselves. When we got off the ship, we had to take a taxi to the beach. There was a beach that us cruise ship passengers could use that was privately owned by a hotel. We had every intention of going to that beach. After we got off the ship, we were approached by all kinds of people that were trying to sell us rides to wherever we wanted to go.We stopped at one man that said he would take us where we wanted for $10. But he worked for a hotel on the complete opposite end of where we were and told us that he was pushing tours to this hotel. They wanted people to see it and take a tour. Jon decided that we could do that. We had to sign papers saying we were going to take the tour. I wasn't getting it. I thought, "well maybe this is how they do things here." ""Maybe to take a cab ride, we have to sign up." Right after we signed the papers, the guy explained it better. We were to attend a time share presentation at this hotel in exchange for lunch and access to the hotel pools and private beach.
I was pretty dang mad. I sure didn't want to waste my time with a 90 minute time share presentation when we only had like 8 hours to explore Mazatlan and there were so many options of things to do.
Making a long story short. We took the tour of the whole place and the man that gave it was a retired American who didn't usually give the presentations. He couldn't have been nicer, even tho I bit his head off a few times (yeah- still mad I had to listen to the whole presentation). We told him we weren't interested in it after he gave us the whole price spiel. And he was so nice to us even then.
We now had access to enjoy the beach. We also had free drinks to enjoy. (Yeah- not drinkers- but we had all the virgin pina colodas that we wanted- even tho we had to explain what virgin meant in a drink because it is pretty unheard of that anyone would come to Mexico and not drink the hard stuff.-lol)
We hung out and swam in the ocean which was so beautiful and we couldn't believe that the water was the same temp as the air. Super nice and warm. I got tons and tons of sand up my swimsuit and could remember the last time I did that. I felt like I was a kid again. Then we relaxed together, sipping on our pina coloda. Aaaahhhh!
Then we had a free lunch too. And the resort had 7 pools to swim in depending on your mood. We decided if we wanted to go to the shopping district we didn't have time for the pools, but I still dipped myself in one right before we left. If I ever went back, I would certainly spend my time there. But I don't even remember the name of the resort, so I would have to do research-lol.
We go a crazy cab ride in this crazed golf cart on steroids thing to the shopping district and spent some time there buying souvenirs before returning to the ship. I took this picture as we were speeding through town, close to the ocean. The view was lovely.
This was our view of Mazatlan form the ship. That little boat help push the ship out of the cove we were in.
Once we got back on, we were talking to a few people there and asked them how they like the city. The groups of different people that we talked to said that they hated it. That the beach they went to was super crowded and vendors hounded you to buy things. Wow! That was not out experience. We really liked it. And we owe it all to the hotel that we can't remember the name of!-lol
Coming up: Part 4
Puerto Vallarta

2 comments:

LKP said...

lol.
isn't it amazing how different things can work out sometimes?
glad you enjoyed mazatlan!
=)

Mandy Jarvis said...

Its so fun reading all your posts about Mexico! Thanks for sharing!