Monday, June 2, 2008

Oh! Canada- Here we Come!

Yipee! We have needed a vacation so badly! We are cheating and leaving a little b4 school is out. We are going to Vancouver, Canada. I have never been there before and am excited just to see something new (and to read books in the car on the way there!) Jonny's family is coming with us! The boys (Jon's Dad, brother, Nolan and Jon) are going fishing in a strange remote area that they are flying to (after we get to Vancouver) and the non- fishers (everyone else) is going to explore the city of Vancouver and hopefully Victoria.

We we get back we will have plenty of pix and experiences to share! But for now- here are some Canadian funnies:

A True Canadian
It's Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final, and a man makes his way to his seat right at center ice. He sits down, noticing that the seat next to him is empty. He leans over and asks his neighbor if someone will be sitting there. "No," says the neighbor. "The seat is empty." "This is incredible", said the man. "Who in their right mind would have a seat like this for final game of the Stanley Cup playoffs and not use it?" The neighbor says "Well, actually, the seat belongs to me. I was supposed to come with my wife, but she passed away. This is the first Stanley Cup we haven't been to together since we got married in 1967." "Oh ... I'm sorry to hear that. That's terrible. But couldn't you find someone else, a friend or relative, or even a neighbor to take the seat?" The man shakes his head "No, they're all at the funeral."


Canada VS United States
This is an actual radio conversation between a United States Navy aircraft carrier (U.S.S. Abraham Lincoln) and Canadian authorities off the coast off Newfoundland in October 1995. (The radio conversation was released by the Chief of Naval Operations on 10/10/95 as authorized by the Freedom of Information Act.)

CANADIANS:Please divert your course 15 degrees to the South to avoid a collision.
AMERICANS:Recommend you divert your course 15 degrees to the North to avoid a collision.
CANADIANS:Negative. You will have to divert your course 15 degrees to the South to avoid a collision.
AMERICANS:This is the Captain of a US Navy ship. I say again, divert YOUR course.
CANADIANS:No, I say again, you divert YOUR course.
AMERICANS:This is the aircraft carrier USS Lincoln. The second largest ship in the United States Atlantic fleet. We are accompanied by three destroyers, three cruisers, and numerous support vessels. I demand that you change your course15 degrees north...I say again...That's one-five degrees north.... or counter-measures will be undertaken to ensure the safety of this ship!
CANADIANS:We are a lighthouse. Your call


Canadian Tourism Humour
The most unusual questions tourists have asked at information bureaus across the country.
**From Tourism Toronto, a toll free info and reservations line:
-Why do French Canadians have a different accent from other Canadians?
-How do I apply for the Canadian Express Card?
-What's this Boxing Day in Toronto, do you box on that day?
-I heard about that new law and I'd like to find out... uh, my girlfriend would like to know the best places to go topless in Toronto.
-Caller: How far is Boston from Toronto?Counselor: About 900 kilometers, or 565 miles. Caller: So if I drive using miles, it won't take me as long to get there? Is that what you're saying?
-Can I take the subway to Vancouver?
-Good afternoon, I'm entertaining some executives, and would like to know where they can ride llamas.
-What information do you have on Italy?


Have a Great Week!
I have put the Bare Naked Ladies on my playlist- as Jon has told me they are from Canada!

7 comments:

Jan said...

Have a great trip Eh! Those are some of my favorite trip memories. I just love the salmon on cedar plank in Victoria. Yummy. You will have so much fun. Just don't drink Canada Dry while your there ;)

Can't wait for the pictures either.
I saw your daughter holding hands walking with Mrs. Smith yesterday. She is such a sweet girl..

l.a.c. said...

have a great time terra. canada is beautiful and victoria offers sweet gardens, shopping, and interesting history. summer vacations are so great!

Debie Spurgeon said...

We planned on going to Victoria for our 5th, 9th and then 10th anniversary and still haven't made it there. Take lots of pics. so I don't feel as though i'm missing out too much because I've heard it's lovely.

Have a great time.

Amy J. said...

Have a good time. We go in July!

Deborama said...

fun reading! They took you off my list to VT you! Did you complain about me? :) When are you leaving?

Sonja said...

Wow, I love Canada. Have a great time, I'm looking forward to pictures. I've never been to the west side of Canada, but I heard it's beautiful. The jokes are funny, I've heard the lighthouse one - always makes me laugh.

Karey said...

Okay, Okay as a true Canadian, born and raised in Southern Alberta, I agree that Canada is beautiful and enough with all the Canuck jokes. I've heard them all! B.C. is so beautiful. I have always wanted to go to Vancouver. I've heard it's very expensive $$. Can't wait to see the pix. You might just come back with an accent...eh.