Friday, October 3, 2008

Cheese, It's Friday!

Nolan and I took a date one night last spring and we were talking and decided that it would be great to start a Cheese Friday, where we try a different cheese every friday. I told him it would be funny to see Dad every fri. and say, "Cheese Dad, it's Friday!"


So we got the ol' Raclette oven out (if you don't know what a raclette oven is, click HERE) and decided to try our cheese melted on french bread, crackers and over lil' smokies. Hansen's cherry vanilla soda accompanied the meal (even though I discovered I didn't much care for that soda).Nolan really wanted to try goat milk cheddar. Carli and I picked out garlic and dill medium cheddar and I bought a Gruyere' which I knew that we liked (just in case we didn't like the other 2). Carli and Jon cut the cheese ("who cut the cheese?"- one of Nolan's jokes)
And we had a great time trying something new and getting a little cultured at the same time!

(Do you like my family and their "Cheesy" grins?!?!-

and the cheese jokes were on for the whole meal)


The nest Friday we tried 3 new cheeses. I wanted to try the blueberry faye so much (the kids sure didn't) but they put it in the cart for me to try since I couln't stop talking about it. And it turned out that I didn't care for it all that much. It tasted like a cheesecake without the sugar. But the Beemster was one of my favorites melted and the Jarlsberg was pretty mild.
Then, the friday after that we decided to try a dish that we had in Amsterdam. Dutch Pancakes with Ementaler cheese and ham. I brought back 2 dutch pancake mixes when we went to Holland, the only prob. was that
the directions were in Dutch- duh! But we managed to make it anyway!


The next few fridays after that we had pizza (that has cheese on it, right?!?) It is expensive to try new cheeses every week, not to mention it is hard to eat tons of cheese every week. But every once in awhile, I will have to pick up the kids from school and say, Cheese Kids, It's Friday!!!

5 comments:

Attitude of Gratitude said...

You make me laugh--how creative! What a fun memory for your family. Have a good week--we are missin' good ole' Washington!

Debie Spurgeon said...

This is unique and creative Terra. I've got to recommend one of my favorite cheeses'.

Wensleydale. They have it at Yokes i think. My sister and i only like it because it's english.

Jan said...

This is so cheesy. Just kidding. Love the creative presentations. You are so good. Have fun and keep it cheesy.

Karey said...

you guys are so cheesy!

Deborama said...

How fun, your such a nice Mom! It all sounds yummy, we will have to stop by some friday by accident! :)