Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The Other Woman!!!

"You Love Hunting More Than Me!!!" is something I would say when we first got married. Why was I so jealous? Well- My husband never cleared his days just to spend with me, he never got soooooo excited just to be with me and he never went out and bought expensive gadgets to share with me! (not that I ever wanted a rifle made out of Kevlar, but it was the principle of the whole thing...right?!?)
Throughout the years I have learned that Jon needs his hunting just like I need my time out in my favorite store. About Sept. every year he just stands by a window and looks outside. The "itch" for hunting starts. I am better with my jealousy now and it is almost non-existent. Almost. I get a few nights now to watch all my chick-flicks and have time at night by myself. But the best part is when he brings Elk home. Now that we don't live in Montana anymore, elk is scarce. It has probably been a good 5 or 6 years since we have had our plethora of elk meat. But now I am going to enjoy ever last morsel and NEVER take advantage of having elk meat again. My fav. dish to make with Elk meat......is spaghetti!
Jon's Hunting Story.

I know Jon would like his super excitin' huntin' story displayed for all of the husband of bloggers, but of course he won't blog- so it has to be told by his wife's version (an account of what he told me).

Jon took his Dad, Paul with him and they went to New Mexico. (You'll have to ask Jon all about how he drew out for tags down there). He had about 5 days to hunt, but was able to spot a elk (with the help of a guide) in the first 2 hrs of hunting. He watched the elk for about an hour and then had a good shot.

When they went up to the elk then noticed a bump on the outside of his skin but didn't think much of it. Later when they were cutting it open, Jon's guide hit something hard with his knife.


It turned out to be an arrow. It must have been shot during bow season last year or the year before, but was hit in the wrong spot and didn't die. The area healed completely over.
And to make a long story short, I now get to find a spot for this in my house!
(Not the guide, Just the rack!)

5 comments:

rip said...

Wow! What a huge elk! Way to go John.

I can't wait to see what you do with the rack.

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting the pictures.

John,
Good job! That is a great looking elk.

Klingler said...

Are you kidding!?! That is a man's elk. Wow, nice job. I would have choked if I saw that bull. I would have gotten antler fever and hit the ground. Good coolness under pressure.

Lottie and I will eagerly await our invitation for elk steak dinner at your house. Just kidding.

Greg and Lottie

The Evanites Tribe said...

wow what a rack! you have such a manly man! enjoy your meat!

Anonymous said...

I have to say, as cool as that is for Jon, I'm soooo happy I don't have to worry about antlers in my house. The only time I'd be okay with it is if they were painted white and turned into a lamp, or coat hooks, or chandelier or something! hmmm, maybe you could throw it out there for placement in your house! :) just kidding